Chester A. Walker and his brother, W.D., opened their first lumber operation in 1897, in Bogg's Township, Centre County, PA. It was a good time to get in the lumber business because there was a lumber boom in Pennsylvania.
After three years they moved to another site near State College then they moved to West Virginia. There they eventually opened a sawmill called Walker Brothers & Reed, which they operated for 10 years.
Returning to Pennsylvania, they purchased a general store and built a sawmill near Bigler, PA.. W.D. ran the store and Chester ran the mill. When W.D. died in 1943,Chester sold the store. the sawmill C.A. Walker Lumber & Supply, grew and prospered, and continues to do so today.
In 1972 when C.A.Walker died Ray took over the mill as a division of Bradford Coal Co.,Inc. Many changes occurred in 1975 the construction of a new sawmill with increased capacity from 6000 board feet per day to 30,000 per day. In 1983 the addition of Irvington Moore Dry Kilns and Warehouse and a saw dust fired Boiler.
Timeline from 1983 - 2015 will be added soon. Please check back often as we will be updating on a regular basis.
Also coming soon, be on the lookout for a section on this page detailing our current capabilities and production specifications.
To produce quality hardwood products that meet and exceed our customer needs and provide stable long term reliable conditions for our customers, suppliers and employees..
•Will insist on integrity in all business dealings
•Will insist on mutual respect with all team members
•Will insist on placing the health and safety of all employees above any other business concerns
•Will seek opportunities to develop our employees and provide opportunity for training and advancement