814 857-7642

148 Tipple Lane, Woodland, PA 16881



814 857-7642

148 Tipple LaneWoodlandPA 16881



Walker Lumber is in the center of the Pennsylvania Hardwood forest and is committed to use only timber sourced from the local, sustainable market for our manufacturing process.

Appalachian Hardwood Manufacturers, Inc. (AHMI) has verified data from the U.S. Forest Service that timber harvesting from the Appalachian Hardwood Territory as defined by AHMI is meeting present needs without compromising those of future generations sustainability.  The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Forest Inventory and Analysis research has found that trees are growing at a rate of 2.33 to 1 being removed in the 344-county Appalachian Hardwood Region.  The net annual growth has been increasing for more than 50 years.

The Appalachian Hardwood Timber resource includes more than 65.7 million acres in the eastern United States and provides the world with a bounty of the finest hardwood species.  AHMI is an association of lumber producers and suppliers who manufacture and distribute the lumber and products from this region.

There are four characteristics that make Appalachian Hardwoods stand above hardwood lumber resources.  Since the 1920s when hardwood from this region began to make a name for itself, Appalachian Hardwoods have: come from a sustainable forest; consistent grain patterns, color, and durability; increased yield for manufactures; and been made in the United States of America.  This tradition continues eight decades later as Appalachian Oaks, Cherry, Maple and Poplar set the standard for thousands of products and materials across the world.

Walker Lumber Company, Inc. procures all of its materials from legal and well managed sources, principally within Pennsylvania.  We train our logging crews and associates in forest stewardship.  We fully understand the importance of proper resource management and have committed our company to ecosystem protection.

Our timber buyers physically walk the woods, marking only those trees of a minimum diameter or those they deem to be detrimental to the health of the woodlot.  These practices ensure that we will be able to return to the timberlands we have harvested in the past and continue to benefit from them as a productive resource in the future.

We have a dedicated team of professional foresters on staff that purchases approximately 10/MMBF of logs per year.  We do not own any timber land so we must buy all of our raw materials on the open market.  About 75% to 80% is from private landowners.  The remainder comes from various public entities; The Pennsylvania Bureau of Forestry (State Forest Lands) and the Pennsylvania Game Commission.  We also have one person who purchases logs on the open market.  About 80% of our logs come from our purchased timber.  The remaining 20% is from gate-wood, and bid logs, etc.We continually buy standing timber and our foresters are always available to discuss timber sales and also to meet with you and help provide advice and recommendations on woodlot care and development.  Please feel free to contact our foresters any time!